Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fighting the Slump

One of the purposes of this project, this journey, this challenge, is to help me through this current slump.

I've been through several kung fu slumps, I've let slumps defeat me in other areas, I've seen plenty of others go through kung fu slumps. I've often given advice to people who are in a slump. Most of them quit kung fu during their first slump. Most that make it through the first one quit during the next one.

Having been through several slumps now, I have some bad news for those with less experience. It hasn't gotten easier to break out of them. It takes hard work.

Of course, that's what kung fu means isn't it, "hard work".

So what's the key to getting through the slump? I doubt there is any one key, but what works for me is allowing myself to feel unmotivated without giving myself grief or guilt about it, making a plan for how I will train through my slump, then working hard through the end of the slump.

No comments:

Post a Comment