Saturday, February 4, 2012

Out of the Comfort Zone

I happen to like my comfort zone. It's. . . well, it's comfortable. It's easy to keep doing what I've been doing. It's comfortable to lather, rinse, repeat, without thinking about it. To stay the course without new challenges, without new fears, without new experiences. I honestly don't crave adventure much.

Those of you that have been around me the last few years may think this sounds a bit strange considering all the new adventures I've been taking on, but the truth is my inclination to stay in my box is exactly why I keep challenging myself.

Master Tom Pardue often says there is a difference between having 20 years experience, and having one year experience 20 times. That is what I'm striving to avoid, one year experience 20 times.

At times, it seems that this process has drawn people to me, at other times it seems to have driven them away. I have gaines some great students in this process, I have also lost some cherished students, others have stuck with me through thick and thin.

I don't know what it is about this journey I'm on that draws some and pushes others away. I won't pretend that I have all the answers. I will say this, I'm on the adventure of a lifetime, and I intend to keep it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment